Wednesday 30 October 2013

Trouble In Paradise

It would appear our 27 year honeymoon is over. Last night Rob was watching an episode of Long Island Medium while I was tooling around on the computer. After after a particularly moving (read depressing) segment about a man who had lost his wife and didn't know how he was going to continue without her, my husband turned to me and said in all seriousness "If something ever happens to us .." First off, what does he mean by "If"? Does he have some immortality gene I'm not aware of ?, I'm more inclined towards the "When". He continues ".. I hope I go first" .

I don't know what he expected me to reply at that point but I'm pretty sure it wasn't "So do I".  There was absolute silence and as I collapsed with loud guffaws he complained in an aggrieved tone "I can't believe you just said that".  As I try to choke out a totally insincere apology,  (I was really only sorry that I missed the expression on his face) he continues with "I'm not laughing". Which of course as far as I was concerned, made it even funnier.

Oh my god, did he ever sulk after that. The more he harrumphed and let out long aggravated sighs, the more I convulsed with laughter. I really am missing that sympathy gene. Personally I considered it payback. After all, anyone who read Monday's post knows he tries to off me every night by depriving me of oxygen. I don't take offense at that !  Maybe if he doesn't want me to go first - although he may not feel that way now - he should change his tactics.  Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment