Tuesday 1 October 2013

The Blog Is Back

Dear followers, 

After a lengthy absence I am back. It was not my intent to be silent for this length of time - my long suffering husband can certainly attest to that. Those near and dear to me know it has not been the best of times for us in the last few months, but that is now in the  past and my - somewhat warped - sense of humour has finally returned, I hope in good form. Thank you for your patience.

I have determined that I do not have an infinite amount of blog material - on the plus side it is a result of my children wising up ! That said, on some days, those when my life appears near normal, I may be reduced to penning a short anecdote - probably about Sid, as her antcis never cease to amaze us. 

Meanwhile some things never change in this house, and as I compose this first blog of many, I hear my husband holler down to the kids "Sidney! Grady! Don't answer the door", this is quickly followed by a loud knock at said door, as the dog launches himself at the front window, hackles raised and teeth bared. The kids immediately drop into a commando crawl behind the couch, but when their heads keep popping up like a game of Whack-A-Mole, they aren't fooling anyone. 

I have no idea what poor hapless soul happened upon our house tonight, but my money is on the town employee who pays regular visits trying to exhort money for animal licences - dog & cats. He is a somewhat creepy fellow who gives me the heebie-jeebies, and we have been known to "go dark" when he is on the prowl. This endeavour is assisted by my ever helpful neighbours, who give me fair warning when he is spotted in the area.

We have to pay hefty fee each year, not only for the dog but for my two cats as well.  Yes, anyone who has followed this blog knows I actually have four cats, but you never see two of them, and I sure as hell ain't letting the Creepy Guy across my threshold (you do that in a movie and it never ends well for the homeowner) to check it out. The only issue I have is that Creepy Guy has an excellent memory, whereas I can't remember from one year to the next, which of my cats I have had to "kill off". My aunt always told me to be a good liar, you need to have a good memory. It appears I am failing on both counts. 

So, if you should ever pay us an unannounced visit, only to have all the lights in the house spontaneously extinguish, and spy the children peering out from behind the couch, you now know why and as long as you don't want money, we may even let you in

No comments:

Post a Comment