Wednesday 9 October 2013

It's A Lovely Day In The Neighbourhood ....

.... Just not in our house.  September rolled around quickly and the children are back to school. On their first day back I did my utmost to appear sorrowful, but it just wasn't cutting it, even Sid saw through my thinly veiled excitement.  I'm guessing my infamous "Happy Dance" in the driveway didn't exactly add to my credibility.

Fast forward a few relatively uneventful (at least for our family) days and the THAT day dawns. SCHOOL PICTURE DAY.  Now, my children have to wear a uniform, most days they're a little on the casual side, but for the school picture they have to be in full dress - crest, ties, the whole shebang.  I'm not sure if that's the right spelling of shebang, but my spell checker tried to replace it with "shagging", and I know that's not correct. 

Anyway I digress, back to the full dress code, which for Sid means a skort. Now on any other day Sid refuses to wear a skort, so I didn't bother wasting my money this year. I should have just plonked down the $30 and had done with it, because who knew that the absence of a skort could send my daughter into a full on atomic meltdown, complete with tears, slamming doors and much stomping of feet. 

My husband, oh he of faint heart just shrugged, muttered "She's your daughter" and took off to work with tires screeching in the dust.  I tried to reason with her, "No-one will see your legs. You'll be in the back row of the class photo, and the individual portrait is taken from shoulders up".  Which actually brings me to last year's photo. Normally they send home 2 or 3 proofs from which you choose your favourite pose. Not so for Sid, there were a total of 6 proofs, each one worse than the one before. It was a full on body short, hip thrust out, hand placed upon said hip, and a come hither look on her face. OMG. All she was missing was the stripper pole. The class photo wasn't much better, at head & shoulders taller than the rest of her classmates, together with a gormless expression, she looked for all the world as if she'd been kept back a couple of grades, if you know what I mean.  I bought the photos anyway, who knows when they may come in useful ?

In the end it took a frantic call to the teacher (poor long suffering soul) to convince Sid that she could indeed wear trousers instead of a skort. I can't wait to see what train-wreck comes home this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment