Tuesday 12 June 2012

The Sleepover Part Deux

Lindsay had a sleepover party this weekend. Seven extra teenage girls in the house, where do I begin ?

You would be amazed at what you hear when they forget that parents are around. Some of the interesting, entertaining  and quite frankly disturbing words of teen wisdom I overheard - at least what I can repeat here -

"Maria, do you have your pants down yet ?"  I think someone wanted in the bathroom and was scoping out the situation, at least I really hope that was it. 

"I just love popping pimples" Overheard as I'm handing out dessert. Eeeew.

"Is that your phone?" "No it's my vibrator". Please tell me I didn't really hear that one. I wasn't brave enough to continue listening after that, and stuck my fingers in my ears, tunelessly singing "La la la" to drown out the rest of the conversation. 

The afternoon started off innocently enough, the basement was in darkness and the eight of them are huddled under blankets watching "The Woman In Black".  A somewhat mediocre movie (I was hovering intermittently on the sidelines), but to hear the ear piercing screams coming from the basement you would be forgiven for assuming they were all undergoing some kind of torture. A door slams on the TV and eight girls scream in unison.  A face suddenly appears, more screams and a bowl of Cheezies flung across the room in fright. Rob sneaks around the front of the house and raps on the window above their heads, three girls shoot out of their seats, a can of pop goes flying, and another round of screams. I think one of them might even have called him an asshole - they wouldn't be far wrong. It was worth it after that to hang around and watch their reactions to the movie.

Once finished, they all came upstairs to eat pizza, but I am surprised that after all the veggies, fruit, chips, popcorn, and ice-cream they devoured during the two hours preceding dinner they were still able to find room for pizza. Perhaps almost non stop screaming helped them to work up an appetite. Pizza was followed by ice-cream cake and I must give kudos to my husband for a magnificent fumble and fortunately an even more magnificent save, when said cake almost ended up on Jasmin's head. I should have warned her it's not safe to sit on the floor in our house.  

The original plan was for them to sleep in our 13 person tent. The weather all week has been riddled with rain storms, sometimes bordering on monsoons, so it was really up in the air if they'd sleep in the tent or the basement. Rob was fervently praying the wet weather would hold off so they could sleep in the tent. As far as I was concerned, as long as the tent didn't float away they were going in it - rain or no rain. We have umbrellas so what's the problem ?

I do have to say, they were a lot quieter than the previous occasion, I was wondering if all the screaming had damaged their vocal chords. According to Rob however, there was still a ruckus drifting up from the basement before they journeyed out to the tent. Personally, I didn't hear anything, so they are off the hook. When they dragged their sorry butts in for breakfast they did file a noise complaint about the neighbours, who apparently started doing yard work ay 7:30 A.M. Again I heard nothing, it would appear that I sleep the sleep of the dead. Interestingly, those neighbours are never up that early on a Sunday, so I'm thinking the noisy yard work may have been in retaliation to the hooting and hollering that probably took place during the night and wee hours of the morning. Tess had given up on the tent and had come in to sleep in Lindsay's bed -  probably not much quieter, because she had listen to Sid snoring and farting all night long.

When the girls gradually drifted off home the following afternoon - a lot more subdued than when they arrived 24 hours earlier, I made sure to ask each and every one if they had all their belongings. They all chirped yes, and went on their merry way. Since then I have found a pair of underwear, three socks (all different), pajama bottoms, two shirts, a hoodie and a leather jacket ! I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was still huddled under the blankets in the basement sleeping, (it's hard to keep track of so many), except that after the scary movie yesterday, no one - including my own daughter - would go down there alone.

Lindsay told me after everyone went home that they all want to do it again.  I have to say that they are a great group of girls, good friends and delightful house guests, so this goes out to Diana, Hannah, Jasmin, Maria, Mary-Clare, Tess and last but not least, my newest FB friend Tori who recorded this auspicious event on film. You are all welcome any time!.



No comments:

Post a Comment