Friday 22 June 2012

Goodbye To The Week From Hell.

Today - a Thursday no less - is shaping up to be the "Day From Hell", and it has already been the "Week From Hell", in fact it has been too hellish to even blog about, so you know it's serious.  Anyway, the penultimate day of the school term and my sanity is hanging by a very thin thread.

First thing this morning, I enter the kitchen to find the dishwasher full, both sides of the sink piled with dirty dishes and fractious children.  Lindsay has started the lunches (that is how she earns her ride to school) and has already had an altercation with Grady, and I get it with both barrels "When I was his age, I was making my own lunch " Actually she wasn't, we remember it differently.  I gently explained I was in no mood to argue, and that I'd "Take care of it later" which seems to have been my standard reply this week.

Meanwhile I try to close a kitchen drawer, but something is jamming it from behind. Old kitchen, even older cupboards, and stuff is always shifting between them.  Anyway I open the cupboard door and out spills a whole pile of muffin tins. I don't know why we even have muffin tins, no one even makes muffins in our house, cookies yes, but muffins no.  Deciding that the best way to deal with this is to launch the offending muffin tins clear across the room with a well aimed kick, the resounding clatter brings Sid running. The others know better and fled the other way. Sid, bless her, asks if she can help me and I tell her to "Take the f***ing tins and throw them outside". Personally, I think it is commendable that it took me until now to utter my infamous curses. The next thing I know, Sid has obediently gathered up the tins and is heading out the back door with them.  One of these days I am going to have to sit that girl down and explain the intricacies of "Mummy Speak".

Lindsay started her exams yesterday, Latin, followed by French today. Each exam is first thing in the morning, and then she has the rest of the day to study for the next one. Yesterday afternoon, she and her friend Hannah decided to study for French in Hannah's pool. Then after that they studied out on our trampoline. I'm confident that they will both ace this exam. After the tedious afternoon of studying they decided to take a well deserved break and write out their bucket list for the summer. At the top of the list was to see the movie "Magic Mike", apparently starring the latest heartthrob with a weird name, whom personally I think is boss-eyed. I'm guessing, based on the eye-roll the girls shared, they aren't interested in my opinion. It wouldn't be so bad but the movie is about male strippers, and the chances of them of them actually crossing that off their list, is right up there with "Cleaning our rooms", which it would appear didn't even make the list. I can see how my summer is shaping up.

If I survive the next few days with my sanity intact, which frankly, is looking less likely every minute, I will be back on Monday. Have a great weekend everyone ! 



No comments:

Post a Comment