Monday 18 June 2012

Happy Birthday Lindsay

Today is my eldest daughter's 15th birthday. I am still coming to grips with the fact that I am the mother of a teenager, it makes me feel so old. But enough about me, this blog is all about Lindsay. If she only knew this, she would be cringing with apprehension.

My sisters and Lindsay's grandparents would probably argue this, but Lindsay was a bit of a homely baby, I wouldn't go so far as to say ugly, but lets just say when she had to take a baby photo to school for a Graduation montage, I recommended she take one of her sister instead. That was a year ago, and she still throws it back at me when we argue. Honestly I was just trying to save her some embarrassment.  Fortunately the homeliness was only temporary, and she has grown into a lovely young lady.

However, if there is one thing she has learned over the years, it is how to push my buttons. It makes me crazy to get the "never mind" comment, but I'm sure any parent of a teenager has gone through the same thing. 

Lindsay:  "Mum!"
Me "Yes ?"
Lindsay (louder) "Mum!"
Me (louder still) "Yes ?"
Lindsay (at top volume) " Muuuum!!"
Me (exasperated) "WHAT ?"
Lindsay "Never mind".

Last week she took it one step further. Whilst my phone was charging and unbeknownst to me she sent me several texts; "Mum" followed by "Are you there?" followed by "Hellooo", then  "I love you " and finally "Can I ask a favour ?" When I finally picked up all the missives, I replied with "What do you need?". I couldn't believe it when the next message I get is "Never mind". Is she kidding me ? I think I may have put a stop to it, when I had the final say, "Don't you ever f***ing NEVER MIND me by text again".

I'm sure given the chance she would have a few choice words to say about me, but until she starts her own blog, she is just going to have to make do with an eye roll. 

It has been pointed out to me, I should be saying nice things about my daughter on her birthday, that isn't nearly so much fun, but I will give it a shot. She is kind (to animals but not necessarily her siblings), gorgeous, smart (so you'd think she would know better than to argue with me), hard working, generous and popular among her friends. In short a daughter, anyone would be proud of.  Happy Birthday Lindsay !




No comments:

Post a Comment