Wednesday 13 June 2012

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes

I'm never ever sure what my youngest daughter, Sidney is going to say or do next, which is what makes life interesting. The other night while I'm eating a bowl of ice-cream - which incidentally is rare for me - she came down to tell me proudly that her "Poop was green". That was the end of the ice-cream for me. I have no idea what prompted it - and I'm referring to both the colour and the announcement. But that's the kind of girl she is. My heartfelt apologies if you are reading this over breakfast.

When I was ferrying some of the girls (Rob had the rest in his car) to the ice-cream store on Saturday, Sid had snagged a ride along after a party she and Grady had just attended. In the midst of a discussion about which girl had been seen with which boy, Sidney stops the conversation dead with her proclamation "There was a midget at my party". This being so far off the Politically Incorrect scale, I refrained from asking if the midget had been a guest or the entertainment, and proceeded to explain to Sidney the insensitivity of her remark. It may have actually worked, if she hadn't been basking in the reaction (whoops of laughter) from her teenage audience.    

Sid's birthday is in the middle of August, not the easiest time to hold a party, with all her school friends on summer break. One year I conveniently "forgot" and have paid for it ever since. The last two years were a little more successful, and I made sure the invitations were handed out before the end of school. Then of course we ran into the problem of no one RSVP-ing, but I won't get drawn into that discussion here. That is a whole other rant for a different day.

With less than two weeks of school left, Sid is anxious to get her invites distributed and as only Sid can, has been pestering me about it for several days. I made the mistake of agreeing on a day in July, and Sid decided to take matters into her own hands. When I picked her up from school today I discovered that she had verbally invited not only her whole class - and teacher to boot - but two other classes as well. That is at least 60 kids, what the hell was she thinking ???   When her teacher told me what had happened, I plastered a smile on my face and had a good chuckle, and then when I got Sid alone in the van, I let loose with both barrels. Sidney calmly waited until I had finished my tirade and announced "I thought you might say that, so I decided I can take off four names" Four names !! WTF ? I was thinking more along the lines of taking off forty names. This would be a logistical nightmare, where in any universe did she think I'd be OK with this ? According to her teacher, she has already told everyone the date and that it is going to be a Luau theme. I'm not taking any chances, I'm going to move out for the whole month of July. If anyone has ideas on how to entertain a crowd of 60, pray do tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment