Wednesday 6 June 2012

I Drew The Short Straw

I'm not sure how it happened, but I drew the short straw today. Sid had been ailing yesterday and she announced this morning that her tongue was dry so she had to stay home from school. I explained somewhat testily that her tongue was dry because she had snored most of the night and the reason I know this, is because I heard her - hence my somewhat testy nature today. I decided to let her stay home - not because of her dry tongue, but because I could see that she genuinely wasn't well.

I knew what was going to happen next, and sure enough, I find Grady moaning and writhing on my bed, clutching his stomach. "Is by any chance your tummy hurting you ?" I questioned.  To my surprise he replied "No, it's my head".  That begets the question why is he gripping his stomach ?  However I have learned with Grady that sometimes the lengthy, convoluted explanation is really not worth the preceding question, so I just let it go. "Fine" I said, "You can stay home too, why don't you go back to bed ?". That was my test, something he never willingly does, but when he tottered back to his bed and then slept for two hours, I realised that perhaps he is ailing after all.

I almost feel guilty - note almost - for doubting my children, they have been perfect little patients today. Crawling from bed to couch and back again, not asking for anything, not fighting or even bickering. Of course the fact that I have been drugging them with Children's Advil probably has nothing whatsoever to do with their lethargic approach to the day.  Whatever the cause, I'm rather liking these subdued versions of themselves, I know it won't last for long.

I did keep expecting a fight to break out, but instead they agreed on a jigsaw puzzle and sat at the dining room table, totally engrossed. When they had finished that and were on their third round of "Go Fish" I was starting to panic. I was at a loss as to how to handle these new and improved children.  When they were having lunch and Sidney accidentally flipped Grady's pizza slice into a sink of soapy water, I was immediately on guard, expecting  retaliation, but Grady just pulled out the soggy slice - fed it to the dog, soap and all - turned to his sister who was furiously apologizing, and said "Don't worry Sid, it was an accident".  Pinch me, I must be dreaming. I frantically counted out the remaining pills in the bottle of Children's Advil, convinced I must have overdosed them, but no, they had each only had two. I checked to make sure they weren't concussed or had been bitten by a radio-active spider, I ruled out vampires, aliens and a full moon. There had to be an explanation for this unusual behaviour I just had to find it, then bottle it !!  



No comments:

Post a Comment