Friday 1 June 2012

Eaten By A Bear

I made the mistake of letting Grady stay up past his bedtime last night. I had missed the little bugger, and he wanted to cuddle with his mummy, so I was all for it. I knew it was just a ruse to get to watch TV & stay up later, but I let it pass. Big mistake, he would not get out of bed this morning. No amount of coaxing, cajoling or threats would move him. Lindsay took her I-Pod in and blared it in his ear, he just put the pillow over his head. I bellowed at him, threatening early bed, no TV, all the usual admonishments, but to no avail. Sid took matters in to her own hands and pounced on him - that got him moving. He came down the stairs in a right state claiming Sid had chipped his tooth. We couldn't see any damage and told him to man up. Rob said "If you had got up when we had asked, this wouldn't have happened"  To which Grady replied "If I had been eaten by a bear it wouldn't have happened either" at which point he stomped back upstairs and returned to bed. I can't quite follow his logic, but I'm guessing any self respecting bear would have probably spit him back out.

Fast forward twenty minutes, and Grady still hasn't got up. I am getting reports at two minute intervals from the snitch sisters. I was working on something, so I finally said to Sid "Don't worry about it,I'll deal with him in a minute" The next thing I know she goes upstairs and I hear her yell at her brother "Mum said you have to get up NOW and if you don't she is going to come up and smack you in the balls". WTF ? Has she lost the plot ? How on earth did my "... deal with him in a minute" translate to such a threat of mammoth proportions, and for the record, that is not a threat I have ever uttered. Sid's imagination must be working overtime. It did however have the desired effect, and Grady was downstairs in record time. He wasn't exactly full of the joys of spring, but then neither am I before 10:00 AM.

Once I got rid of the children I turned into a regular "Suzy Homemaker" and cleaned the house top to bottom, I was bloody near exhausted by the time I was finished. The reason for this sudden burst of domesticity you may wonder - Lindsay said she was bringing some friends home with her after  school.  No reason to broadcast outside of the family that we live in chaos, hence the big clean. Too bad Lindsay came home solo, no friends, she had to finish a project for school. I could have cried, all those hours I could have spent blogging, wasted on cleaning the house. At least my husband will appreciate my efforts I thought, but no, the rat bastard walked in and didn't say a word. He didn't notice that he wasn't tripping over thirteen pairs of shoes in the doorway, or the absence of mega dust bunnies, or that the kitchen was sparkling - not one word did he utter. Boy, did he ever get the silent treatment. It cost him a late night run to Dairy Queen, he won't be making that mistake again in a hurry.

We are going to the Brooklin Parade tomorrow, and rain is in the forecast. It won't be the first time we have viewed the floats from under a sea of umbrellas. My sister is on the parade route, so we always watch from her house. She serves Champagne & orange juice, and some particularly delicious bagels, so I have to admit, I don't really care about the weather because I go for the food. I hope everyone has a great weekend and I'll be back on Monday.



No comments:

Post a Comment