Friday 17 August 2012

For Dog Lovers Only

I love animals, I really do, or we wouldn't have so many pets, but even I wonder sometimes what we have let ourselves in for. 

For example our dog, Badger. He is the best family dog we've ever had, and considering he was abused for the first year of his life before we got him, he has come a long way.  One evening however, he was not looked upon so kindly. My husband was loading the dishwasher after dinner, and the dog snuck over to lick the plates. 

As luck would have it, at that moment there was a knock at the front door and the dog took off like a rocket. Unfortunately, his collar was caught on one of the prongs of the dishwasher and he took the whole bottom rack with him. Dishes, and by dishes I mean our Wedgwood wedding china, went flying through the air in every direction. What goes up must come down, and it did, dinner plates, side plates, bowls, you name it, come crashing down. The noise is horrendous and sends the now panicked dog on a frantic dash through the house, still attached to the dishwasher rack, with me in hot pursuit. The kids are all crying "Poor Badger". I'm yelling "Bugger the dog, what about my dishes?", as I'm watching my bone china dinner service shatter before my eyes. 

Long story short, the dog survived, my china didn't, but we still have him ! And the person who knocked at the door ? When they heard the commotion, they couldn't get away fast enough, and if they know what's good for them, they should still be legging it. 

Meanwhile, back at the homestead, the jird has been providing endless entertainment for the cats. I caught one of them this afternoon hanging off the cage, white knuckled and salivating, while the jird eyed him disdainfully from a safe distance. The jury is still out on the jird, Rob as we all know won't have anything to do with rodents, Lindsay has an aversion to it's tail and like her father won't go near it.  Grady & I agree it's sweet little creature, even tho' neither one of us have been able to catch it, and as for Sid, well, she's forgotten all about it. She has other things on her mind, her birthday is on Saturday, and last year I brought home a kitten instead of a birthday cake, so she has high hopes for a repeat performance. 

Have a good weekend, and all being well, I should be back on Monday. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment