Friday 10 August 2012

Toaster RIP

You probably read the title and thought  "Not another mouse in the toaster episode" , well you'd be wrong, the offending object today was a pop-tart or more generically a toaster pastry.  Personally,  I think the moron that devised the pop-tart is akin to an  arch villain and should be punished as such. Maybe there have just been too many mice traipsing through our toaster, but I defy you to find me an appliance that will toast these offensive pieces of preserve filled pastry, without jamming up the works.

No sooner had I climbed out of bed this morning, when Grady accosts me with a pair of his tongs in his hands. What fresh hell awaits me now ?  Apparently Sid, not wanting to wait any longer for breakfast - have these kids not seen the multiple boxes of sugar coated crap disguised as cereal I keep in the cupboard for just such an occasion ?  - decided to take matters into her own hands and put a pop-tart in the aforementioned toaster. That is when things started to go horribly wrong. Somehow it slipped through the grill part and got stuck at the bottom.

It was at this point that Grady came to the rescue armed with a pair of silicone coated tongs. "Don't worry mum" He explains, "I unplugged the toaster first". Well actually he didn't. He had unplugged the Tassimo instead, which explained why I had  been waiting so bloody long for my coffee. Meanwhile instead of removing the pop-tart he had only succeeded in squishing it further down in the toaster.  The tongs he had used were far too wide to fit properly in the opening, so I went looking for my toaster tongs. At this point I should mention somewhere in my kitchen I have not one, but three pairs of toaster tongs. I'm not sure why they keep disappearing, but they do, so I go out and buy another pair. In frustration I upend the contents of utensil drawer on to the table, and lo and behold a pair of toaster tongs.

The trouble is, it was too little, too late for the pop tart, and the only way to dislodge it from the bowels of the toaster, was to shake the shit out of it. It was at this point Lindsay came in, took one look around the kitchen and left again. Can't say I blame her. I was finally able to remove the remains of the sticky pastry, but I'm not sure if the toaster survived the assault. Oh well, toast is overrated.  And there was still the contents of the utensil drawer to replace. How can one little pop tart cause so much trouble ?

We are all set for a big family re-union tomorrow. I hoping it will provide me with a least a week's worth of material. Have a great weekend, and I'll be back on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment