Wednesday 30 May 2012

Why Me ?

Picked up Sid from school, only to find out she had been in trouble again. When the teacher does something that Sid doesn't like - and that list seems to be growing - Sid takes it upon herself to pretend the teacher doesn't exist.  Unfortunately she probably got that particular trait from me, I'm masterful at pretending I don't have children - or a husband - when it suits me. Both Rob and I have lectured her, taken away TV privileges, instituted an earlier bedtime, threatened, cajoled, bribed and blackmailed, but nothing works with Sid. I decided to bring in the big guns tonight and enlisted Lindsay's help. I told Sid that if her behaviour continued I'd pull her out of her school and put her in another one. I thought if Sid wouldn't listen to me she might at least listen to her sister. I have to give Lindsay kudos for a bang up job, making another school sound like a cross between a boot camp and a prison. However it was to no avail, at the end of the litany of dire consequences facing her, Sid decides the other school could be fun. That little rat bastard just called my bluff.

When Lindsay was at the same school, round about the same grade, there was a little boy in her class who was always in trouble. Every single day the teacher would pull his father aside and have a serious talk with him about what transgressions his son had been involved with that day. Lindsay on the other hand, was always sent home with glowing praise (other than the time she and her friend cut each others hair - but that is another story).  I have to admit in those days, I felt more than a little smug, and silently rebuked the poor father for not raising his son as well as we were obviously raising our daughter. How the mighty have fallen, I'd dearly like to find that father now and apologise profusely for all the unspoken criticism I had cast his way. I'd also really like to know how his son turned out and if there is still hope for Sidney.

On a lighter note, I am always on the alert for ways to wind up my eldest daughter. It doesn't take much, which is why it is so much fun. Rob took the day off yesterday, and at the last minute we decided to go out for dinner. Usually by the time he gets home from work it is too late to go anywhere, so this seemed like a perfect opportunity. At least it was until Lindsay reminded us that she had to be at work by 6:30. "No problem" said I. There was no way I was giving up on dinner out without a fight. "We'll eat early so you'll still be in time for work". As a result we headed out the door at 4:30. It did cross my mind that we were turning into Rob's parents, who for as long as I have known them have always eaten an early meal. Lindsay, rather than be pleased that we were trying to accommodate her schedule complained loudly that we were acting like "seniors" eating so early. In hindsight we probably should have left the little ingrate at home and let her fend for herself.

We arrive at our restaurant of choice, and there in the entrance is a big sign - "Early Bird Specials Before 5:00PM"
I couldn't pass up an opportunity like that, so in a very loud voice I point the sign out to Rob, and then started clapping in excitement, and squealing with delight "I just love the early bird specials". Rob plays right along, while Lindsay looks at me in absolute horror & disbelief.  That will teach her to make fun of us old folks. There was a time I would have cringed right along with her if my parents had pulled a stunt like that, but now I don't mind making a fool of myself, especially if I get to wind her up in the process. Sid meanwhile couldn't have cared less, she had her brother's I-Pod (he wasn't allowed to take it on his trip) and nothing was going to pull her attention away from that unfettered access. I admit I did get a few funny looks from the other patrons, but they were all seniors, so they promptly forgot anyway.  

.

No comments:

Post a Comment