Friday 4 May 2012

Why I Hate Thursdays

I hate Thursdays, I really do. Some people hate Mondays, but Mondays I can cope with - the kids are back to school, my husband is at work and I have the house to myself. Monday is a peaceful day, I can get positively giddy about  Mondays, but Thursdays, you can keep them. Really, Thursdays are a pretty useless day, they're not a Friday, but far enough into the week they feel like they should be. How many times have you woken up, so happy it's Friday, only to realise it's actually only Thursday ?

The real reason I hate Thursdays so much, is that pretty much anything bad that has happened to me, happened on a Thursday, so I have come to dread them. I won't even book a dentist appointment on a Thursday, that would be  an unmitigated disaster. In fact I try not to do anything on a Thursday.

Take today for instance, this morning, my dear husband announces that we are out of coffee.  As far as I am concerned that should be grounds (no pun intended) for divorce. He insists that he told me yesterday we were running low, but obviously his definition of low (enough for one cup) and mine (one weeks supply) differ considerably. Fine I will take the highroad, he can have the one remaining cup and I will sacrifice myself at the altar of Tim Hortons.

Taking the kids to school there is no traffic, and I mean no traffic. The roads are empty, in fact the only vehicles I saw were the two cop cars as I flew by them at few kms over the limit, OK maybe more than a few. That was an "Oh F***" moment I can tell you. If I deserve it, I get a ticket, but please god, not with the kids in the car, because I would never, ever hear the end of it. After I drop off the kids at school, I head to Tim's, salivating in anticipation of  breakfast. Now I discover the reason for the mysterious lack of cars on the road, they are all in the flipping Tim's drive-thru.  Remember my blog on the drive-thru where I haven't paid attention and driven right past the order point, well it happened today, only not to me but to the idiot in front of me. When I do it, it's quirky, if it is someone else they are an idiot.  Luckily I was paying attention, and left her plenty of room to back up again.

Finally my time to order and horror of horrors they don't have my sesame seed bagel. See! It's the Thursday curse again. I take the closest thing to it, which apparently is an "everything" bagel, and they weren't kidding. I could taste onions and cinnamon in the same bite. What is wrong with these people, are they trying to poison me ?  At least I had the comfort of my extra large coffee.  The drive home was considerably slower, I didn't want to spill one drop of this nectar of the gods. The cup was too hot too hold, but it was also way too tall for the cup holder, so I drove home like an old granny, keeping all four tires on the ground even around corners.  According to my husband I usually take corners on two wheels, but he is prone to exaggeration. After all this is the guy who spends nigh on a mortgage payment every week at the grocery store, but we still ran out of coffee. I'm not sure what he buys, but it certainly wasn't Nabob or Maxwell House.  This is the part where I would normally call him a pillock, but I dare not just in case he reads it. Every now and again he does. I usually read the blogs out to him before I post them, because that way I can creatively edit as I read it. I don't want to take any risks, because after all it is Thursday.

So my curse continues. I am out and about over lunch, so I decide to try Tim's again, since my breakfast bagel was such a roaring success.  Actually it's not much of a decision, I'm hardwired to select Tim's over anything else. Anyway I try out a new location, the only problem is, I somehow ended up in the lane for the car-wash instead of the drive-thru. I've always hated car-washes at the best of times - I have a tendency towards claustrophobia -  but ever since Grady started watching a program called "Curious & Unusual Deaths"  (I'm not sure if it is for pure entertainment value, or if he is learning from it. Either way, I should probably be a bit concerned) where a person met his untimely and somewhat messy departure at a car-wash, I avoid them like the plague. Not to mention it's still  Thursday, so technically anything could happen. I've watched every one of the "Final Destination" movies, and my imagination is running rampant.

So what to do ? what to do ? what to do ?  Either go forward and face my inevitable demise at the hands of the giant roller brushes, or try reversing back out of the car wash lane. Fortunately it is pouring with rain, so there is no one behind me. The latter option seems to be the safest bet, so I close my eyes, grip the steering wheel and go for it.

After reading this to my dear husband (editing out the bit out about him being a pillock) he called me a loser. So if we are going to stoop to that level, I have a few choice names for him too, and trust me "Pillock" is probably the most complimentary of the lot.

Oh and by the way - when reversing out the car-wash lane, I did actually have my eyes open. Have a good weekend everyone, and if I survive the rest of Thursday, I'll be back again on Monday.






.

No comments:

Post a Comment