Thursday 10 May 2012

Adventures In Babysitting

It was one of those days today - surprisingly not a Thursday, which I would expect, but it is close enough.

I have a busy enough day, volunteering at the school Book-fair in the morning. I leave in time to pick Lindsay up from school, back home for a little while, and then back to the school to do another session at the Book-fair. The only problem was it had been pouring with rain, and I had left my van windows open. I didn't notice until after I'd sat down and got absolutely soaked. No time to change clothes, so back to the school perched on top of a towel, looking like I'd had an unfortunate accident. Just my luck. Normally I'd be happy to wander around and help the kids find the books of their choice, but not today, instead I kept my bum firmly planted on a chair and helpfully pointed in the vague direction of said books.


On my way home again, I heard a knocking noise in my new van. Uh-oh, not so soon. The clunking sound was apparent all the way home. Imagine my relief when I determined it was only the metal Tardis on my key chain banging against the dashboard.  I didn't even have to turn up the radio.

This evening we were babysitting Elliot, (the son of one of Lindsay's ex-teachers) much to the delight of Grady & Sid, who love babies. Tonight I discovered why. They are playing happily in the next room when I hear Grady say "I'll hold him down and you put it on him". Uh-oh that doesn't sound good.  I walk in to find Elliot sitting on Grady's lap, and Sid advancing menacingly across the room with an armful of Build-A-Bear clothes. Time for a lecture "What are you doing ? Elliot is not a toy, do not put him in doll's clothes.Yadda, yadda, yadda". There is a chorus of "Yes Mummy", while Elliot sat there giggling, apparently not realising what a narrow escape he'd had. Five minutes later he comes strutting into the kitchen, resplendent in a Build-A-Bear Hawaiian shirt, looking very pleased with himself. I do love how my children listen to what I say and then do the complete opposite.

When they had finished playing dress-up, Grady had another game in mind. The next thing I know he is throwing a ball and having Elliot fetch it. Yes, he was actually saying "Elliot. Go fetch", and Elliot obliged, again and again and again. He thought this was jolly good fun, although I am sure his parents may take umbrage about their son being treated like a dog. The poor little guy is coming back on Saturday (unless his mum catches up on my blog in the meantime), so goodness knows what my children will subject him to then. Sid now desperately wants a baby brother, too bad the ship has sailed on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment