Friday 18 May 2012

Mother Of The Year Award

It would appear that some people think my parenting skills are somewhat lacking when it comes to empathy & compassion.  I prefer to think of it more as conducting a life lesson in tyranny and torment - mine and theirs.

My son is going on a three day camping trip with his class. The teacher had asked the parents to send in a photo of their child, "Just in case something happens". Not sure what they expect to happen, and I was too lazy to look for a photo so I sent a note to the teacher and told her they could use dental records instead. Apparently that wasn't the right thing to do.  Personally, I thought it was quite practical, and as I pointed out to Grady if he got attacked by a bear, a photo wouldn't be much good to ID the remains anyway.  Now Rob is on my case because he said that will give Grady nightmares - like my husband wasn't thinking exactly the same thing.

It was the infamous Science Fair tonight. Fascinating. Gripping. Absolutely brilliant. It was obvious the parents had worked very hard on the experiments. My friend had asked if I could look after her toddler while she put in her appearance, and I was happy to oblige. However I do think the neighbours are seriously beginning to wonder where all these extra children are coming from.  Anyway as a result of looking after Lily,  I was unfortunately late to the event myself, so that probably couldn't have worked out better if I had tried.

I am not the only parent who could use some work in the benevolence department.  When Rob took the kids up to the farm this week, when he was looking to repair the fence, the horses decided to stampede and thundered towards the kids. They called to their father for help, and his response was to yell at them to run faster !  Of course he wasn't planning on telling me that, but the kids ratted him out as soon as they got home. For the record, Rob insists they weren't in any danger, but you'd hard pressed to believe that, when you hear Sid's version of the story.

I cannot believe that as I am trying to blog, I am arguing with my teen over underwear. It would definitely appear that I'm tanking with the Mother of the Year Award. Yesterday it was Grady's gym uniform and today it's Lindsay's  underwear. Lindsay has her knickers in a knot (no pun intended) because apparently I neglected to wash her favourite underwear, and now as a result of that transgression, it has totally ruined the outfit she had picked out for tomorrow. I would suggest going commando, but that would only get me further into trouble. Maybe I have long forgotten what it was like to be a teen, but I'm sure when I did battle with my parents it certainly wasn't over underwear.

On that note, have a great weekend, and Happy Victoria Day to my Canadian followers. I'll be back on Tuesday.




No comments:

Post a Comment