Monday 28 May 2012

How We Spent Our Weekend.

If at all possible I aim for a quiet weekend, at least as quiet as it can be in this house. This weekend, not so much. We live near the 401 - a major highway - that passes over a bridge near our house. Yesterday a tractor trailer jack-knifed, went over the bridge and caught fire. Consequently the roads near our house were closed at the scene of the accident.  I had driven by on my way home from errands and offered to take the kids to see it - I figured Grady would be fascinated, especially with all the fire-engines and emergency vehicles. The driver had escaped with minor injuries, so it wasn't too ghoulish.  I didn't realise that all the kids would all want to see it. Rob of course sniffed disdainfully, "Why on earth would you want to do that ?" he asked. I'm sure he was secretly pleased because he had the house to himself for a few quiet minutes.

So off we go to the scene of the accident, and you would think I had a news crew with me, the kids were out of the van in a shot, taking pictures, looking through their binoculars, having a fine old time. Who knew they would be occupied for so long. Eventually I managed to pull them away and head back home, where upon they tumble out the van, Grady showing his dad the photos, and Sid exclaiming "That was awesome".  It really doesn't take much to impress her. Wouldn't you know it Rob now wants me to take him to see it, and the kids, ever up for an adventure climb back in.  At this point all I wanted was my lunch, but ever obliging, back we go and everyone proclaims their oohs and aahs. By this time quite a crowd has gathered, along with a real news crew, all the more exciting as far as the kids were concerned. Meanwhile Lindsay was trying to persuade Sid to "assume the position" against one of the police cars, as practice for later in life. How touching. It took a while to finally coax my little band of rubber-neckers away, but the area remained closed for the rest of the day.

If anyone is interested, it made the news here is the link. http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120526/ajax-401-truck-crash-120526/20120526/?hub=TorontoNewHome&cid=top

On a lighter note, the boy child is off on a 3 day camping trip with his class. He is extremely excited, so much so he wanted to start packing several days ago. I had to take a copy of his packing list, so that he could use one copy to tick off the items as he went, and the other copy to be kept just in case . I'm not sure what "just in case" entailed, but I have found with Grady - much like his father - it far is easier to humour him than to fight him. .

Last year on the trip, he took his packing very seriously, one of the items on the list was a bar of soap, and he actually asked me why he would need it!  I was so glad I wasn't a parent volunteer in that cabin !  I explained that he would probably need to shower at least once on his trip, and agreeing that this would be a good idea, he also packed a towel.  Upon his return I noticed that the bar of soap was still in pristine condition, so I asked him why he hadn't used it.  Rather shame faced he pulled out the towel he had packed - in his hurry he had taken a towel belonging to Sid - a pink hooded towel, with a cat's face on the hood. "Mum" he explained "I pulled this towel out, and when I realised what I had, I stuffed it back in my bag before anyone saw it. I just couldn't use it in front of my friends". I can't really blame him, but of course it does beget the question, why he didn't notice the towel was pink when he packed it. He is so his father's son. I know I will miss the little chap, but his sisters are already planning a party to celebrate his absence. It will certainly be quieter for the next few days.

Rob got the short straw and had to help Grady assemble his bag this afternoon. Everything was spread out on the floor upstairs, and as fast as Grady was pulling clothes out of his closet, Rob was putting them back in. Not sure what he was thinking but he packed 4 pairs of pants (trousers), 3 pairs of shorts and only 1 pair of underwear. Sadly, he didn't see anything wrong with that. He packed soap, but has already said he won't need it. By the time he returns I'm not sure whether I should try washing his clothes, or just burn them instead. Stay tuned for the return !



No comments:

Post a Comment