Tuesday 8 May 2012

From The Dark Recesses Of The Basement

I am working in the dark today, because I still don't have a light above my computer. After the fiasco on Saturday, when it took Rob the better part of the day to get it sorted with the light bulbs, I've decided that discretion is the better part of valour and I will continue on, uncomplaining, in the dim recesses of my basement.

Some days I wake up and feel like I have been abducted by aliens, and then there are days like today when I wake up and wish that I had been - abducted that is. Sid and Grady both have spelling tests today and decide to test each other on their words. Somehow this innocuous arrangement deteriorates into an argument. Sid aims a blow at Grady and misses, and this is what transpired next.

Grady: "Ha, ha, you missed me."  Sid aims another blow and this time connects with his arm.
Grady: " Ha, that didn't hurt. You can't hurt me!". Never one to pass up a challenge, Sid thumps him again, and this time she has the desired effect.
Grady "Ow, that hurts. Muuuum, Sid hit me!".

Believe it or not, Grady is a smart kid, he even has a photographic memory, and only has to hear something once to repeat it word for word, but when it comes to his sisters he is incredibly obtuse. Not just with Sidney but with Lindsay as well. You would think if he is going to taunt his sister with a name like "Torpedo Tits", he would have his escape route planned in advance, but not Grady. With his underwear now pulled up to his underarms, (courtesy of Lindsay) you'd think he'd learn. That boy has had more wedgies, than I've burned dinners.

My day can only get worse because I have to take Lindsay shopping for jeans this afternoon. I offered to give her my debit card and I'd wait in the van with a book, but that wasn't good enough, so now I actually have to accompany her into the store. Let the torment begin. Now would be an excellent time for an alien abduction! I even tried to con Rob into taking her yesterday, but between the debacle at the hardware store, and helping Grady with his Science Fair Project (don't get me started on that one) he manged to find valid excuses not to go. Mind you, now that I think about it, he did seem to spend an extraordinary amount of time helping Grady. After all this is a Grade 4 science project, not Quantum Physics. It would appear he may have pulled a fast one on me !


No comments:

Post a Comment