Tuesday 29 May 2012

Who Needs An Alarm Clock ?

Rob decided to take today off and get some chores done around the house, as such we didn't have to get up quite as early as normal, but Grady had other ideas. His camping trip starts today and he came bounding in our bedroom at some ungodly hour singing "I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it" over and over again. That boy couldn't carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it, it was a terrible way to start the week !

Meanwhile Sid goes to school and tells all the teachers that I was going out today to buy a cake to celebrate the fact Grady wouldn't be home for the next two days. I was doing no such thing, I think it was wishful thinking on Sid's part, but probably another black mark against me in my ongoing quest for mother of the year. Not only that, but she also invited the teachers over to share the cake !

Grady waits until it is 10 minutes before he has to leave to tell me he doesn't have any socks. How can this be? There were loads of pairs of socks floating around when he was packing, I was tripping over them every five minutes. Now, at T minus 5 and counting they seem to have all disappeared into a black hole. I am desperately sorting through my bag of odd socks (at last count there were 45 - how is that even possible ?)  in the hopes of finding a pair for Grady.  Fortunately he is even more colour blind than I am so I was able to palm him off with a mismatched pair (is that an oxymoron ?).  I admit I lied through my teeth and told him they matched,  I'm hedging my bets that he won't even notice.  I neglected to mention however, that they belonged to his sister. I'm sure there is a special place in hell reserved for mothers who lie to their children.

I have to admit, as much as I miss Grady, taking one out of the mix reduces the arguments considerably.  Even Sid said she missed her brother. I thought that was so sweet until she added "I don't have any one to fight with". Lovely.

Rob is making up for the fact that we are missing one child. He was carrying a basket of laundry through the basement for me when all of a sudden I hear this large crash, followed by more crashes, a quick staccato one after the other, each one seeming to be louder than the first. My first instinct was to burst out laughing, and when I had that under control, called out and asked helpfully if he was OK.  Somehow he had caught the DVD tower with the edge of the laundry basket and everything came toppling down. It didn't help that most of the DVDs were perched precariously on top of the tower, because after all that makes so much more sense to the children than actually putting them back where they belong.When I found him, he was amid piles of DVDs and clean laundry cursing up a blue streak. It looked like he had everything under control so I went back to my book.

Rob took Sid up to the farm this evening, another little boy who has met Sid before was there, and was quite happy to see her. He wanted Sid to go in the front paddock and play "horsey". I'm not sure what that entailed, but Sid was having none of it.  He did manage to persuade her to help him lower the jumps so that he could go over them, but alas he didn't fare to well, returning to announce to Sid that he thought he had broken his penis. Fortunately Sid is used to Grady's antics, so she wasn't too put out by this statement. I can't say she offered him much sympathy either.  





No comments:

Post a Comment