Monday 19 March 2012

March Break Madness

Had I started this on the first day of March Break, I would have been reporting from the Twilight Zone.  My two youngest children were miraculously getting along. They were happy-skippy, almost normal little people. I liken it to a scene from "The Stepford Wives" meets "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers", it was quite disturbing actually, and I knew it wasn't destined to last.

Sure enough the next day the gloves came off, and the fights began. It started innocently enough, with the two of them playing Lego together.  I was actually beginning to think that perhaps their behaviour the previous day wasn't just a fluke or freak of nature, and March Break may go smoother than I thought. Of course, I should have known better, but I can always hope. I don't know how it started, but all of a sudden Sidney smashed Grady's Lego and war broke out. Grady was in tears because his creation was in a thousand pieces, Sid was crying because she was in trouble, and Lindsay, well I don't know why she was so upset, but does a teen really need a reason to shed tears ? I handled it in my usual calm manner, screamed, yelled and threatened them with extinction and when that didn't work, I raided the chocolate drawer (most people have a vegetable crisper in their fridge, mine is full of chocolate) and hid in the basement.  Sometimes you just have to let them duke it out. They can dial 911 just as easily as the next person.

Fast forward a couple of days and their 2 cousins arrive to stay for a few days. My kids adore them, not just to play with, but to climb on, pester, and thoroughly annoy.  Of course while Alex & Maddie take the brunt of it, I get peace and quiet. I almost feel guilty.  However, it's not all paradise, I just spent the morning in Chuckee Cheese, which as far as I am concerned is the closest thing to Hell On Earth as you can possibly get. It doesn't help that they serve the WORST COFFEE EVER ! and I have had some pretty bad coffee in my time.

Chuckee Cheese used to open at 9:00 A.M, and it was the best kept secret. We'd arrive as it opened, have an hour or so while the place was empty and head out as the crowds arrive. Not so today, it doesn't open now until 10:00, and even tho' we arrived at that time it was already pandemonium. They had actually brought kids in by the busload. The place was teeming with the brats. Runny noses, sticky fingers, they were loud & obnoxious (and I'm counting the parents in that too), absolutely my worse nightmare.  It was enough to make you want to pierce your eardrums with a pencil. And don't forget the terrible coffee. I was ready to run away screaming after only 5 minutes, but I stuck it out for an hour & a half,  I deserve some kind of medal. When we left, there was actually a line up out the door of parents and kids waiting to get in - idiots!

Somehow, I managed to survive the week,  and miraculously so did my children !





No comments:

Post a Comment