Monday 12 March 2012

And Then The Fight Began...


I have come to the conclusion that my children live to fight.  For Grady, his sole aim in life is to antagonize and aggravate his sisters. He prefers to square off with Sid, but if she isn't available, Lindsay will do in a pinch, and he'll rile her up instead. Meanwhile, Sid who is no shrinking violet, still doesn't get that if she ignores Grady he will stop it with the wind-up routine and find something else to do. He may be quick with his words, but he needs to be much quicker on his feet if he is going to dodge Sid's flying fists of fury, which for the record we do not condone, and  if anyone can offer a punishment - oops I mean consequence - that we haven't already tried, I'd love to hear it !

Anyway, this week, they must have been bored because they took it upon themselves to clean the front picture window which is covered in nose-prints from the dog, cats and yes, even the children. We don't need blinds, the window is so smudged that no one can see through it anyway.  I pleaded with them not to do it, warned them it would end in tears and bloodshed, but they were bound and determined.

Of course the window cleaning session ended just as I suspected,  the same way most episodes do in our house, with name calling, a fight and a tantrum - and that was just me. It turns out that Grady wouldn't relinquish the Windex and Sid of course kept a tight hold on the paper towels, so it was pretty much a stalemate. My money as usual was on Sid and sure enough she solved the problem the way she always does with a left hook to Grady's solar plexus. He falls off the window seat with a loud wail and she pounces triumphantly on the Windex. 

Grady is in tears, which is my cue to step in and start yelling at Sid, "How many times have I told you not to do that ?"  Like she is actually keeping track, although one time she did stop and start counting up on her fingers. I really do need a new refrain for my rant. Anyway I send her up to her room, whereupon she starts yelling how hard done by she is and wants to go and live with another family.   Right then, if that what she wants, I order her back down the stairs and toss her unceremoniously out the front door.  Instead of legging it to the bus stop which is what I'd hoped for, she sat down on the door step and started wailing again. Of course, had I put shoes on her first that may have helped. God only knows what the neighbours would think by now, (although I'm not sure much would surprise them anymore, especially the guy next door, who loves it when I get started on a tirade. In the summer when I partake in these diatribes outside, he has been known to grab a beer and pull up a chair), so I drag Sid back in and return her to her room.  

By now Grady has started crying all over again, this time because Lindsay (who was trying to help, at least I think she was ?)  put an ice pack on his back where he scraped it as he was pushed off the window seat.  All this and there is still another two hours before Rob gets home. By the time he does arrive, all is forgotten and apparently forgiven and they are as thick as thieves again. I don't think I will ever figure them out, it's just a miracle I haven't ended up in a straight jacket - yet.

They are on March Break this week. I'm still undecided if I want to spend the next few days in a drunken stupor or stone cold sober. We are adding two extra to the melee, cousins who will be staying for a while. Fun times ahead !



No comments:

Post a Comment