Wednesday 22 February 2012

Daily Drudgery

This won't be much of a post today, because I have spent the day ironing. I thoroughly abhor ironing, as far as I am concerned it is an abomination, akin to having bamboo shoots shoved under your finger nails.  Even if I hadn't been tethered to the ironing board all day, and had spare time to blog, I wouldn't because quite simply, the ironing has put me in a vile mood.  I couldn't even belt out the classic rock tunes I'd just downloaded, because Lindsay was home sick, and I didn't have the heart to disturb her. The tunes weren't a problem, it was my singing she objected to.

You may well ask, why I have whiled away the hours with this contemptible task, and the answer is easy, because I love my husband. And that statement right there, has scored me mega points! Maybe not enough to persuade him to buy another horse, or bring home another cat, but it should at least be worth a lie-in or two.  Actually, if I am to be truthful, it has less to do with loving my husband and more to do with the fact that before he left for work this morning, he set up the ironing board and left it in the middle of the room, with piles of wrinkled shirts spread over the furniture. When God was handing out the subtlety gene he obviously completed bypassed my in-laws.

I curse the man that invented the iron, I know it couldn't have been a woman. As far as I am concerned this activity it is a total waste of time. I hate the fact that I iron all my husband's shirts, hang them neatly in his closet and then he has the audacity to wear them. Really what's the point ?  On the plus side, because he only wears these shirts after I have ironed them, and on average I only iron once or maybe twice a year, all his shirts look brand new.  This is purely an accidental by-product of my extreme laziness, but I work with what I've got.  You know I don't iron very often, when Sid upon seeing the ironing board set up this morning, had to ask me what it was for.

Personally, I want to know what happened to nylon and polyester. They may not very stylish, but those were fabrics that were easy to care for. There is a lot to be said for wash and wear.


Now that I think about it, I cooked last week - yes a whole meal from scratch -  and today I'm ironing. All I need to do now is figure out how the vacuum cleaner works, and I can forgo my attempt for "Mother Of The Year" award (I was never a serious contender for that anyway) and put in my bid for "Domestic Goddess" instead.  That will be right after I've started a movement to bring back crimplene.  Now I feel old, the word "crimplene" doesn't even show up in the spell check !

No comments:

Post a Comment