Thursday 23 February 2012

All About Meredith

Meredith is the daughter of some long time friends, and I have known her since she was born. She actually accompanied us on the ill fated camping trip I wrote about a while ago, but she was most disconcerted that I hadn't given her a mention. So please indulge me as I dedicate this post to Meredith, now grown into a lovely young lady who I am honoured to know.

A year or so ago Lindsay and I took off for England for two weeks to celebrate my sister's birthday. That left the problem of who would look after the children. My first thought was the local boarding kennels, cages seemed like a good choice, but apparently there are regulations against that sort of thing. Rob was able to take one week off work, but that still left a week where help was required, so we called upon Meredith. The kids love her, so it wasn't much of a stretch to have her move in for a week and take care of them. Meredith thought this was a wonderful idea and eagerly accepted. That was probably her first mistake, as anyone in their right mind would have high-tailed it to the border.

I don't think it was long after she arrived that she realised she had her work cut out for her. Sid & Grady soon got over the initial infatuation, and it didn't take long for their true colours to come shining through. However they met their match with Meredith, and she was not going to put up with any nonsense.

The second evening Rob arrived home, Meredith was sitting casually on the couch flipping through a magazine. The house was quiet, too quiet, and Rob was immediately suspicious. Fearing the worst, he ventured a question "Where are the children ?", to which Meredith replied in what can only be described as a frosty voice "They are in their rooms". Somewhat concerned, Rob made a move towards the stairs, but stopped dead in his tracks as Meredith continued in a tone that brooked no argument "Stop right there. They are to stay in their rooms until I say they can leave".  Rob knows when he is beaten, he bypassed the stairs and headed into the kitchen instead.

The children were eventually allowed out, and meekly acquiesced to Meredith's authority. From what I heard they didn't step out of line after that. I just wish I knew how she did it. However, she did confess to Rob afterwards that our little darlings were not quite what she had expected.  Who'd have thought ?  We love you Meredith ! 


No comments:

Post a Comment