Thursday 7 November 2013

Thursday Came Early This Week

Before I get too far into this post, I am supposed to give title credit to Lindsay.

It always used to be Thursdays that I dreaded, but there must have been a disturbance in the force, a reversal of magnetic poles perhaps, because now it feels like every day is vying to be a Thursday.

This week it was Tuesday. I am in the shower when Lindsay comes in and announces she is off to school,. That can't be right, it is only 7:15, she doesn't usually leave for another half hour. It turns out she is meeting a teacher early because she has questions on an assignment. I tell her to wait 10 minutes and I would drive her. It was cold, dark and raining, motherhood dictated I didn't have much choice. 

Halfway up the road, she remembers her book is still on the kitchen table, so I turn around and back we go. I should mention I haven't had a coffee yet, so not in the best frame of mind. She gets her book, I drop her off at school and head home again. Grady meets me at the front door - never a good sign. "You've just missed dad" he tells me. "He called, he has a flat tire." Great, not much I can do but I call my husband and offer sympathy but little  else. 

As I am working on lunches I hear a noise coming from the front hall. I go to check and see Grady's rear end sticking out of the hall closet, items flying haphazardly over his shoulder. My all too usual refrain of "What the hell are you doing ?" is met with a muffled reply. He is looking for his rain jacket. I tell him it has to be in there, but he insists it isn't. 

The next thing I know he has gone off in search of a flashlight. WTF ? This is a small closet, not Journey To The Center Of The Earth.  Even with the added illumination there is no sign of the jacket. We start to rehash where he might have left it. I finally have to cave and call Rob, who is trying to deal with his flat tire and really doesn't give a flying you-know-what about the whereabouts of Grady's jacket. He did mention however that Lindsay had worn it to the farm on the infamous "Muddy Round-Up Day" a couple of weekends ago and an idea begins to form.  Uh oh, a frantic text to Zach, and sure enough, I had sent Grady's jacket back with Zach's clothes. After having accused Grady of leaving it somewhere, I was going to have to do some fancy footwork to back pedal out of that one. I make furtive arrangements with Zach to smuggle the missing jacket back into the house and persuade Grady to make do with an older jacket for now and then I turn my attention to Sid.

At this point I should mention, a single drop of coffee has yet to pass my lips, so I am getting more than a little surly. Sid & Grady both wear school uniforms and as such Sidney has multiple white shirts in her closet. This day she found fault with each one; too short, too long, too loose, too tight. Never mind that they were all identical. Finally through threat of grievous bodily harm, I convince her to keep one on and she heads down for breakfast. Too fucking bad she then spilled juice all down it and we had to start the painful process again. And this dear readers was all before 8:00 A.M.

















No comments:

Post a Comment