Tuesday 26 November 2013

How It All Began

My friend Laurie asked me the other day how I got into blogging. It started innocently enough when I would send Rob an email and describe how "My Day So Far", was going with one or more of the kids at home. These emails were then passed around his office, and after a few years of his co-workers suggesting I write a blog, I decided to give it a try.

Today I go back to the roots, as I had a morning typical of those earlier days. I'm not sure really at what point it started going off the rails, just that it did. Lindsay and Sid got into a fight over who carries down the dirty laundry. They weren't arguing because neither wanted to do it, quite the opposite, they both requested the chore. Unfortunately the fight escalated, and the inevitable happened, they got so wrapped up with their argument, neither one completed the task. 

Grady meanwhile had been listening to some old music I was playing in the van and had started singing over and over again one particular line from the 70's song "Billy Don't Be A Hero".  I did suggest that he might want to pick another song if he plans on singing at school (which I'm told he does in class), because I'm quite sure that continuously belting out a rendition of "Come back and make me your wife" is guaranteed to get him stuffed in a locker. He is a sweetheart but a bit of a slow learner. 

Meanwhile he did something to piss Sidney off, I don't know what and it certainly doesn't take much. In fact, it could even have been his singing, because god knows I was ready to pierce my eardrums with a pointy stick. She takes retribution by kicking him, and promptly earns herself a time out - which was a bit stupid on my part, because sitting on the stairs at 8:15 is hardly conducive to her getting ready for school. Obviously Grady isn't the only slow learner in the house. I figured, give her 5 minutes tops and we should still be OK for time. 

However, I wasn't ready for the blood curdling scream that came next, nor her frantic flight down the stairs. I run up from the basement, only to find her cowering - and screaming - as Grady advances menacingly, brandishing one of my bras. Are you kidding me? What did I do to deserve this ? I snatch back my garment, slap Grady upside the head and tell Sid to get dressed. Grady, who would appear to have woken up with a death wish follows Sid into her room, where upon she retaliates by spritzing him with one of Lindsay's perfumes. It is not the first, nor I'm sure will it be the last time, that Grady goes to school smelling like a Texas whorehouse.  

So there you have it, "My Day So Far". 

No comments:

Post a Comment