Thursday 28 November 2013

Beaten But Not Down

I have to feel sorry for my son. Last week I received a call from his teacher, to inform me that Grady had bumped his head - on another child - and had a big lump on his forehead, but he was refusing to ice it. It didn't seem too bad and she promised me she'd keep an eye on him. If he started acting or talking strangely she told me she would call me back. I had to intervene at this point, explaining that as talking and acting strangely was something Grady did on a regular basis, it would require something much more dire before I hastened to his side.

Today I received another call, this time Grady had tripped in the playground and scraped his face, he had walked in to the classroom supposedly (as Grady told it later) covered in blood. Again, I ascertained that there wasn't any serious harm, and he would be able to make it through the rest of the day.

It was this evening that he told me of his interaction with the other teachers. As some of them follow this blog, I will withhold names, but they know who they are ! The first teacher he encountered, gasped and asked him what happened. He explained, only to have her reply "Did Sid push you?".  A little while later another teacher inquired as to what happened to his face, again he explained and she responded with "Did Sid have anything to do with it?".  Finally he had to go to a neighboring classroom to fetch something  only to have that teacher take one look at his face and immediately ask "What did Sid do to you this time?" . As he was telling this tale -as only Grady can - I was laughing and expressing sympathy for Sid who has obviously developed a certain - and not undeserved reputation - around the school. Grady was not impressed and turned to me grumpily, "Never mind Sid" he complained, "How do you think I feel ? All those teachers assumed I got beaten up by my little sister!".  

He does have a valid argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment