Friday 8 November 2013

Anything For A Quiet LIfe

I try so hard for a quiet (read boring) life, but the universe has other plans. Early this spring we discovered we had racoons having it off in our attic. We were awoken one night    by an almighty racket.  Squealing, growling, bumping - it was horrendous. This was going on above our heads, and I thought what ever it was, was going to fall right through the ceiling, as I clutched the bed covers, panic stricken. 

Rob determines the culprits are raccoons, (he raised one, so he should know).  At first we weren't sure if they were carrying out their antics on top of the roof or in the attic, so I sent Rob out to check.  He returned quickly, only to announce that he couldn't see anything. I asked him if he had taken a flashlight - he keeps about 6 beside his bed in preparation for the end of days - but he hadn't. Not quite sure how he expected to see anything without one, so I armed him with a high beam and sent him out again. I suppose I should be thankful that he had at least donned clothes, he has been known on occasion to dash out in the middle of the night - au naturel - to break up a cat fight. I can assure you, that hasn't done much to increase local property values. 

Much to my horror, we determined that the raccoons were inside the attic. The noise abated after a while, and by the time I got up, Rob had already been on the phone to pest control companies. The first guy he spoke to explained that it was mating season for raccoons & suggested the female had probably been hibernating all winter in our attic and the recent mild weather had coaxed her out. A male had probably followed her back and they'd done the deed, hence all the noise. That pissed Rob off even more, as he muttered something about the f***ing raccoon getting more action than he was.

As soon as it was daylight, Rob decided to venture up on the roof to see if he could find where the intruder had gained access. Appreciate if you will, Canada in spring, we were still in the grips of several inches of ice and snow. You're probably expecting my tale to continue with my intrepid husband sliding right off the roof - and to be truthful the kids and I did lay bets on the prospect (imagine the blogging opportunities !!), but unfortunately he made it back down safely. 

A day or so later, the guy from the pest control company came out and set up a spring loaded door, with the intent that the raccoon can leave the premises, but not return. Apparently it is a fool proof method - and it better be for $350 - but anyone who has followed this blog knows how well "fool proof" works in our house.













No comments:

Post a Comment