Friday 21 December 2012

The Secret Life Of Teens

Let me start by saying my teen is wonderful. She works hard, is on the Honour Role at school, has a part time job, lots of friends, everyone loves her, yadda yadda yadda. Now for the real teen that I live with.

For her Fashion Fundamentals course, yes really Fashion Fundamentals WTF ?  The nearest  I ever came to Fashion Fundamentals in school was the choice of white or navy socks with my uniform. Anyway, this isn't about me, so back to my teen. For one task, her class had to take photos of their clothes in their closet and drawers and take them into school. Not sure how that exercise is going to garner her a place in University, but still. Anyway Lindsay cheerfully told her teacher that she didn't have a photo of her closet because all her clothes were piled on her desk & chair. She wasn't kidding. Somewhere under all that is a hamster cage too.

This wouldn't be so bad, after all I can shut her bedroom door and ignore it. It's a bit of a hazard for Sid tho' who shares the room, and has more than once been buried under a sudden avalanche of clothing as she tiptoes her way through the obstacle course that has become the floor of their bedroom. My biggest fear is that maybe one day we'll need a Cadaver Dog to locate her.

I take issue when Lindsay demands to know the whereabouts of a certain item of clothing that was supposed to have been washed a week before. I explain that I have not seen said item and have therefore not washed it. Lindsay, who should know not to answer back, but has never been one to shy away from a challenge, escalates the argument to a whole new level. Rob by this time is usually standing behind me making frantic "cease & desist" hand signals to Lindsay, who blithely ignores him and ratchets it up a notch. The fight can only end one way; tearful (Lindsay) and incensed (me).  And that item of clothing ? It never did leave her room. 

PS I'm really hoping I'm not wasting my time writing this, should the world end tomorrow.  






No comments:

Post a Comment