Friday 7 December 2012

Brotherly Love

Grady and Sidney fight like cats and dogs sometimes, actually worse than cats and dogs, because the real felines and canine in our house never fight at all. Anyway despite the extremely creative name calling and the occasional knock-down-drag-out fight, I always hope that underneath it all they have each other's back. That ideal was almost borne out the other day. 

We have a huge back yard, where the kids can roam free and play on various apparatus.   Do they do that ? No they prefer to play out front instead.  Ever mindful of the horror stories of children snatched  off their own front lawn, I am oft times reluctant for them to play unsupervised. They are allowed out if they are together, but the rule is, unless an adult is out there with them, if one child comes in, then they both have to. 

Last weekend they were playing on the driveway when Grady came in for something. After he'd been inside for a few minutes, I suddenly thought to ask him if he'd left Sid outside alone. He insisted she was OK but went back out to check. Unbeknownst to both of us, Sid had grown tired of waiting for her brother and had quietly (almost an impossibility for Sid) re-entered the house and had gone to the playroom.

Grady, after not finding his sister where he left her outside, came charging into the house in a panic, racing from top to bottom looking for the erstwhile Sid. Upon locating her playing Legos he lets her have it with both barrels, yelling "Sidney, next time you come in, you have to tell me. I thought you'd been stolen, I was really worried....". Listening to this, my eyes welled up at Grady's concern for his little sister. I should have known better tho', because my happy bubble was burst immediately as Grady continued "... I thought I was gonna get blamed for it".  How touching.











No comments:

Post a Comment