Wednesday 26 September 2012

Pet Peeve Part II


These pet peeves are not in any particular order, but this particular one is near the top - unhelpful sales staff.  In the past I have worked in retail and the food industry (although obviously not in the kitchen) so I know it isn't easy. However when I am ready to make a purchase and part ways with my hard earned cash, or more likely, highly charged credit card, (which by the way, I like to keep at the max, so if they get stolen no one can use them. Rob doesn't agree, but I think it has a certain logic), I do not appreciate having to wait at the counter, tapping my foot, while the sales girl and her girlfriend rehash the previous night's unfortunate double-date with Tweedle Dum & Tweedle Dumber. Not my concern.

There was once an unfortunate incident at a dry cleaners, when the girl behind the counter planned her upcoming Saturday night in technicolor detail over the phone, while we stood waiting for Rob's dry-cleaning. After several minutes of this nauseating one side conversation I politely (yes really!) suggested that she might like to continue her call after she had served her customers. The girl glared over at me and said "Take a pill lady".  Rob looked stricken, he took one horrified glance at her and gasped something to the effect of "Do you realise what you've just done ?" and back pedaled out of the store so fast he left skid marks on the floor. He is not one for confrontation.

This was back in the days when I had an appalling temper, and was more apt to lose it. My temper hasn't changed much over the years (the kids can attest to that) I just don't have enough energy to indulge it as frequently now. Anyway back to the girl who told me to take a pill, what happened next wasn't pretty. While Rob hovered anxiously outside the store, I let her have it with both barrels. If I remember correctly, the dry-cleaning was free,  and I do believe the company is no longer in business, and good riddance.

No comments:

Post a Comment