Friday 21 September 2012

Happy Birthday Rob !

My dear husband (affectionately aka Rat Bastard) is facing a milestone birthday today. I had forgotten just how much older he is than I am! I won't say which milestone birthday it is, but I have just discovered as I'm sitting here stuffing my face full of chocolate (a bad habit I have got into as I blog) that Rob is the same age as the "After Eight" chocolates, at least according to what it says on the the box I am determined to work my way through this evening, which is probably more exciting than anything I can think of to write about.

I first met my husband to be when I was fourteen, although I was dating his older brother at the time. This was  thanks in part to my sister, who didn't know what else to do with me when I was in Canada on a summer long visit, so she set me up with the eldest son of her friend & neighbour. Years later, she still likes to take the credit for our happy union, conveniently forgetting that had it gone her way, I would be with Rob's brother, whom I'm sure, still gives thanks for his lucky escape.

If you were to ask Rob, he would have yet another version of of how history played out. I seem to be the only one who does not have a Swiss cheese memory. As far as he is concerned - and this is the story he likes to tell our children - our relationship began when I pinned him up against the barn door, and he was terrified. Of course, you'd have to question why he followed me out to the barn in the first place, and the way I remember it (and really that is the only version that counts - it is my blog after all), it was dark, I tripped, fell on him and at the same time stuck my hand in an exposed electrical outlet, resulting in a jolting shock and a burn to my hand. Believe me, that you don't forget. Anything else Rob has to say about it is at best questionable, and probably total bollocks.

Despite his colourful memories, I must give him his due, he has stuck by me, not an easy feat over the years, and fathered three wonderful children. Oh hell, where is this sentiment going ? Who am I kidding ? I've given him the best years of his life, and as for the kids, while Lindsay has turned out OK, the other two are little hooligans.  Still let it be said, Happy Birthday to my awesome husband! I love you !


No comments:

Post a Comment