Friday 28 September 2012

The Twilight Zone

Some days I think I'm living in the Twilight Zone, everyone seems to get what is going in except me.  Take the other night for example, I am helping Grady with his homework - spelling this time. One of his words was pterodactyl, and I'm spelling it out for him "Silent P- t-e-r-o-d-a-c-t-y-l" so he can write it in a sentence when suddenly he convulses in laughter. No words, just loud guffaws as he holds his stomach with one hand and points at me with the other. I have absolutely no clue what caused this disruption, and then I hear his father in the kitchen laughing along with him. "Will someone please tell me what is going on ?" I demanded, only to have Grady tell me, tears streaming down his face, "You said silent pee'". I guess you have to have a "Y" chromosome, to get it.

Meanwhile Rob is in a twilight zone of his own. He is convinced the cat is toying with him. He (Rob) is still having too much of a good time catching mice in the crawlspace - the man really needs to get a hobby - but he has now discovered that every time he takes the captives out to the neighbour's wood pile, (unbeknownst to the neighbours I might add) at the bottom of the garden, he is positive the cat sneaks down behind him and brings one of the mice back to the house, only to dangle it right in front of my husband. Guaranteed to send him into a tizzy, but then  it really doesn't take much !

He was proven right on Monday evening, Lindsay and two friends were studying (yeah right, I'm not that gullible) at the dining room table when they noticed Mowgli lazily toying with a mouse. To give them their due, not one of them reacted, no screams, no jumping on chairs, they made me proud. Lindsay casually pointed it out and they all went back to work.  It is a sad state of affairs that no one actually bothered to even retrieve the mouse, until Rob finally made the effort sometime later.



No comments:

Post a Comment