Thursday 19 April 2012

The Crazy Lady That Lives Down The Street


I picked up my new (previously owned) van last night and I am a happy little camper. The kids of course insisted on coming with me, so I rattled off the rules for their behaviour at the car dealership. No running, no shouting, no jumping, no skipping, no arguing and definitely no fighting. I should have also included "No practicing karate kicks next to the photocopier", but you know, that one just didn't occur to me until I saw it in action. You have never seen me swoop in so fast in order to to catch Sid in mid flight. Fortunately thanks to my speedy and some might say heroic actions, catastrophe was averted and I didn't have to replace a copier along with my vehicle.

Meanwhile the kids love the new van, it's really nothing special or decked out in any way, but they discovered it had reclining seats, and a power outlet so Grady can play his DSI. I have to admit it doesn't take much to wow them. They are as happy as if they were normal. Lindsay graciously conceded that she won't mind driving it next year. I told her I was so pleased to hear that, it was potentially devastating to me that she may not like my new vehicle. Sarcasm is entirely lost on her. We took it out for a spin last night to McDonald's to buy smoothies - which no one was allowed to touch until we got home. Family - minivan - McDonald's, really, how more cliched (dare I even say boring) can you get?. We drove past our neighbours on the way home and they commented on how they didn't recognize us because there were no dents in the door. Ha ha.

I should have stuck to the boring, because when we got home again all hell broke loose. Charlie (one of the useless cats) was playing with a mouse, fortunately outside this time. The kids all wanted it saved but none of them wanted to do the saving, so that left yours truly. There I am down on my hands and knees between the front porch and the rose bushes (I probably couldn't have picked a more awkward or hazardous spot) trying to catch a mouse that didn't want to be caught. Just when I thought I was ready to nail him, the little bastard kept darting away. "You'll have to move faster than that mum" calls out Grady helpfully.  Meanwhile everyone is yelling out directions, because at my angle, nose down in the dirt it was somewhat difficult to see.  The cat gave up trying to catch it, long before I did. By the time the mouse had had enough of the chase game and darted through a gap in the bricks where I couldn't reach him, quite a little crowd had gathered to watch my antics. You know how on every street you always have some kind of a weird character - probably considered a little loopy - that the kids make up stories about? I think on our street that character is probably me.


No comments:

Post a Comment