Friday 24 January 2014

Spelling Bee

Multifarious, paraphernalia, spurious, Pyrrhic, calcareous. I'm not sure what most of these words mean, never mind how to spell them, but they were on a list of spelling words when my son was in Grade 5 - at age elven. Seriously ? this is a boy that can't spell ordinary words - for example "have to" is written down as "hafta" and for the longest time "fink" was his version of "think". You needed the flipping Rosetta Stone to decipher half his homework. His maths skills are unparallelled, his spelling not so much. For someone who pretty much has a photographic memory, I don't know how his spelling can be so bad.

On the flip side we have Sid.  A couple of years ago she brought home her words, usually pretty tame, but one week I was thrown by "Binny". I couldn't find it in any dictionary, and I finally came to the conclusion she had copied it down wrong. Sid insisted she hadn't, and seeing as we had left it to the last minute - over the Easter weekend, I had no way of checking. Desperate, I finally found the word on a obscure online dictionary; Binny was a large species of fish found in the Nile. I was very impressed that Sid's teacher had included such a diverse word in the spelling list and commented on it when next I saw her. She gave me a strange look and said "You know that was "bunny" right ?". Like I said yesterday, you can't fix stupid. It would appear my children come by it honestly. 

I actually have to work for a living next week, so the blog will be on hiatus for a few days, resuming on February 3rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment