Tuesday 21 January 2014

How My Children Spent Their Summer

My children had amazing adventures this summer, but unfortunately I was thousands of miles away, so for this post, I have to rely on eyewitness accounts.

First, my sister took Sidney & Grady to England. We had taken Grady years ago when my father was still alive, and he has wanted to return ever since. Sid on the other hand had never been back to my home. This was actually a bone of contention with her, one day she even complained to her teacher that we had "...gone everywhere and done everything without her ..". Kind of sad actually, especially as it's true. Just wait until she realises we have next to no baby photos of her either. What can I say ? She was the third child.

Anyway, three weeks in England staying with my family, which meant 21 days geared to their every whim. Grady had a list as long as your arm of things he was anxious to see and do; Lego-land, London Eye, Tank Museum, Stonehenge, Tower of London, fossil hunting, the seaside, you name it, he wanted to experience it. Sid's list was simple - stay in a hotel !

My sister and brother-in-law own a canal boat, one of the long barges. Both the kids were looking forward to spending a few days aboard. This came off the rails, so to speak on the day when Grady fell into the canal. The water isn't deep but it is disgustingly filthy, and he was clinging to the edge of the boat for dear life. Meanwhile Sid, witnessing this from shore is screaming at him "Don't die on me now Grady! Hang on!" When they phoned a few days later to tell us about the incident, I was initially heartened to hear of Sid's concern for her brother, but then it dawned on me. At that point of the vacation they had yet to stay in a hotel - Sid's only aim for the entire holiday - and there was no doubt in her mind that Grady's untimely demise in the Kennet Avon canal, would spell a hasty end to her plans.

Unfortunately falling in the canal wasn't Grady's only mishap on the boat.  My sister was certainly worse for wear after Grady fell off the top bunk and managed to kick her in the head on the way down. After that, he complained to me, Lesley made him sleep on the floor. Can't imagine why !


No comments:

Post a Comment