Friday 6 June 2014

Long Suffering

Despite the title, this post is not about my husband. This is a little tale from my sister, and I may take a bit of unintentional poetic license, but only  because I did not hear about this event firsthand.  Instead, I received a phone call from Sister #1, who had received an email from Sister #2, telling her to talk to Sister #3 (in the U.K.) and have her tell her the story about the funny phone call. Not sure why Sister # 2 couldn't just tell Sister #1 the story outright, but that is how we communicate - long winded and convoluted. 

Eventually I heard the story from Sister #2, and now that I am about blogging it, Sister #1 will finally hear about it, and Sister #3 can chime in and correct me if I have anything wrong. Trust me, two sisters were teachers, as was my father, so I have spent my whole life being corrected by someone! 

A year or so ago, or even longer, my sister was involved in a minor fender bender. Everything was sorted out and the matter was finished, or so she thought. A little while ago, she started receiving somewhat dubious phone calls from India, whereby a man referring to her accident kept encouraging her to claim compensation. My sister, suspicious of the nature and origin of these calls, insisted that she didn't need compensation. Then they asked if her husband needed compensation, again, the answer was no. Whoever was behind this was very persistent, and my sister continued to receive these calls on a frequent basis. Finally she had had enough and told the caller in no uncertain terms she didn't want compensation and they were to stop calling. He replied that the calls would continue until she agreed to claim compensation. 

My irate sister insisted on talking to the manager, who upon taking her request proceeded  to ask why she was so antagonistic, (or perhaps it was aggressive). My sister explained she was fed up with the calls, wanted them to cease and she didn't want compensation. The manager asked if she was suffering, and she answered no. He then asked if her husband was suffering, again she answered no. At that point the manager retorted "Yes, he is suffering, because he lives with you, and if I had to live with you I'd kick you".  I kid you not, my sister was gobsmacked. Although to be fair, we have all told her the same thing at some point over the years.

I'm not sure what is going to happen next, but I do know one thing, there is a call center manager in India, who had better start sleeping with one eye open.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment