Wednesday 11 June 2014

What Are They Thinking ?


Explanation: This was drafted a few weeks and then forgotten. We were still in grips of winter, unlike now when it is spring and pouring with rain everyday.

I know there is a conspiracy when it comes to Thursdays. Why should the latest be any different ? Sid remembers at the last minute she has a current event due that day. I have to say my kids' teachers are amazing, but with all due respect I heartily abhor current events. I understand the reason for them, but trying to find kid friendly articles in today's papers is damn near impossible.

This month's (at least they are no longer weekly) topic was weather. Now that would have been easy just a couple of weeks ago, when here in the frozen North we were still in the grips of one of the longest coldest winters in living memory, or when the UK was suffering from catastrophic flooding. Back  then, we could have found numerous articles about the weather, but this week not so much.

I finally find an article about a woman who almost froze to death in a snow bank. That word "almost" is key here, it means she survived, so happy ending - ergo suitable for classroom discussion. I am clutching at straws here. I toss the article at Sid and tell her to get writing.

Probably the only thing I dislike more than current events is the science fair.  This year the school has decided to change things up and have an invention fair instead. The children are tasked with inventing an Eco-friendly gadget. WTF ?  Seriously ? Sid doesn't have a clue what she wants to do (and quite honestly neither do her parents) however Grady is bound and determined to invent something that combines Lego and rocket fuel.  I'm not sure how that one is going to pan out, but I'm guessing badly.

Post Script: The invention Fair was a veritable success. The school is still standing, and we talked Grady out of using rocket fuel and raw uranium.

No comments:

Post a Comment