Monday 12 May 2014

Harbingers of Spring

     Although most people here in the frozen North re celebrating the approach of spring, I am a little hesitant to welcome the warmer weather. And by warmer, I mean any temperature that isn't double digits below freezing, everything is relative. You see, Spring means mice, birds and chipmunks. In fact, pretty much anything that our cats can hook their little claws into.

     It was bad enough that over the winter there was a small brown furry critter frozen to our front porch. Every morning on my way to the van, I would poke at it and ponder on what exactly it was. Too large for a mouse, too small for a chipmunk, it had me stumped. Finally one day Grady saw me prodding it and asked what I was doing. I explained I was trying to determine what it was. "Oh that's easy" he replied, "Its a rabbit's foot". Eew gross, it never occurred to me it would be only part of a creature, which begs the question, where is the rest of it ?. 

     Yesterday it was a mauled bird left on my doorstep, today I witnessed two of the cats playing Piggy-In-The-Middle with a mouse. Add in the resident possum and raccoon watch the fun begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment