Friday 2 May 2014

I've Lost The Plot

Lindsay approached me a few weeks ago about having a sleepover this weekend. Definitely not, I told her, we have plans on Sunday and have to make an early start. She countered with Friday night instead. My Friday evenings - like my Sunday mornings are sacred - a quiet time to veg after a busy week. I asked Lindsay why someone else couldn't host the sleepover, and she assured me that someone else would, but was she allowed to go ? That I was OK with.

Fast forward to this week and Lindsay sidled up to me. "Don't forget the sleepover Friday " she said. "No problem" I replied, "Whose house are you going to?" At this point she faltered, suddenly lost for words. "Um, actually we are all coming here" she told me. "You're what ?" I squeaked. "You told me I could have a sleepover on the Friday", she complained, now getting defensive. 

"No" I explained, "I told you you could GO to a sleepover on Friday, there is a big difference".  This is where the suck-up starts. "But Mum" She pleads, "Everyone loves coming here, they always have the best time, and my friends all love you". Yeah, right, and I bet the parents love me even more, because they are all off the hook. Somewhere Friday evening, eight sets of parents will be toasting each other with a glass of chilled Chardonnay, in their quiet homes, praising themselves for dodging that bullet.

I don't know why I am the only parent who agrees to this. Probably because my parents always let me have sleepovers when I was a kid. The difference was, we had a huge plot of land and my father built me a shed at the bottom of it just for that purpose. We were never in the house.  

However back to Lindsay, it appears she isn't finished with the surprises, and as she waltzes off she tosses back "Did I mention..." and no she definitely didn't "...That everyone is coming here Thursday evening to get ready for the Semi dance". WTF ? Seriously ? Of all her friends we probably have the least amount of room, and now a whole gaggle of girls are coming over to prep for a dance. I really wasn't sure how I was going to break the news to my husband. I've definitely lost the plot !

No comments:

Post a Comment