Sunday 22 January 2012

The BB Gun & The Toothbrush

So the day begins benignly, until my 10 year old decides he wants a BB gun - answer is no, simple enough. However Grady having honed his debating skills on his older sister hasn't given up. He continues to nag, and in my effort for some peace in which to nurse my Sunday morning hangover (which is especially sad as I haven't consumed any alcohol since Christmas) finally agree that when he is of a legal age I will take him to a shooting range and he can fire a gun under controlled conditions. At which point he asks if he can use his sister as a target. Do I really need another reason to say no to a BB gun ? Of course that's not the end of it, his sister hearing the conversation takes umbrage at being used - albeit theoretically - as target practice and thumps him over the head with a weapon of her own. I know this isn't going to end well, so discretion being the better part of valour, I take my now cold coffee and escape to the basement.

The next battle is homework, do I know how to have fun on a Sunday ?  The 7 year old  has spelling, definitions and sentences - topic is biology. Would be relatively easy, except she insists on doing the sentences before the definitions - hence we end up with the classic "My toothbrush vertebrates".  I don't think even I can improve on that one.

Sadly, today is actually an improvement on last Sunday where we spent the day searching for an escapee hamster. Still not sure how it made it from the bedroom to the basement with 4 (ultimately useless) cats in the house. Meanwhile, I spent the afternoon at the computer kicking the nearby wall to scare off the mouse I hear rustling inside it. It doesn't occur to me until much later that it wasn't a mouse, but the missing the hamster - oops.  Fortunately no harm done, and the hamster lives to fight another day.

So now that Rob has found a job and starts back at work in two weeks, I get to take over the morning routine. That will be when the real fun begins .......


No comments:

Post a Comment