Monday 24 February 2014

Hockey Fans

I have documented before, we are not a sporting family. Fair enough in my younger days I was good at running (probably a logical reason behind that, if I explored further), Lindsay is on her school swim team and Grady is willing - if not always able - to try his hand at anything. In fact he is currently sporting a black eye because he was nailed in the face with a tennis ball. Rob enjoys riding, as do the older two kids occasionally. You notice I haven't included Sid, because, well Sid is Sid. Team sports aren't really her thing.

I have explained this because you can imagine my surprise when I stumbled out of bed at some ungodly hour this morning, to discover my children were already up watching The Hockey Game. I love how in Canada it is always "The" Hockey Game, with the assumption that everyone and their brother knows "the" game in question.

Anyway "The" game today was Canada vs Switzerland (I think), Sidney & Grady were totally engrossed. They don't know a thing about Hockey, but they were riveted none the less. Sid calls out, "Canada has another goal", at which point even Rob took an interest. "Oh look," he exclaimed, "They just scored another one." I guess Sid must know more than I give her credit for, because she replied in a voice dripping in sarcasm "That's the action replay dad". Funny how her voice says "Dad" but her tone implies "Idiot".

Go Canada ! 

Post Script:  Rob insists he knew it was an action reply, and apparently I stand corrected, it was Sweden not Switerland.  Who knew ?

No comments:

Post a Comment