Thursday 6 February 2014

Magic Rob.

So one Saturday morning rolls around and Rob suddenly wakes up to the the fact that we would be having a child free evening. Sid & Grady were off on a sleepover and Lindsay of course was off to Zach's house. 

Rob decides this is an opportunity not to be missed, and hot to trot he starts gyrating around the kitchen. I meanwhile had just started a thrilling new book, so I had big plans of another sort for my quiet evening ahead.  

As Rob shimmies & shakes to a beat that could only be heard in his head, I wasn't sure if he was trying to make me laugh or cry. Eager to get on with my crossword, I told him politely to piss off and commented that he was no "Magic Mike". For those not in the know, "Magic Mike" was a movie about male strippers, which also happened to be Lindsay's current favourite "film dejour" at the time. I know, she shouldn't even be aware of such a subject, never mind be glued to it on DVD. That "Parent of the Year" award, ever eludes me.    

Anyway back to Rob, not one to easily take offense at my male stripper comment - which is a shame because it means I will have to try so much harder to offend - retorted that he could pretend. My response was a derisive snort, but at that point a little voice wafts out of the playroom as Sid joins in, "You can pretend all you like dad, but it ain't gonna to happen!".  I don't know what was more dismaying; the fact that Rob was put down by an 9 year old, or that her comeback was so much wittier than mine. The student surpasses the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment