Friday 14 February 2014

For My Husband

Don't worry, this wont be mushy, but I thought in light of Valentine's Day I should offer up a tribute - of sorts - to my long suffering husband. We have been together 35 years, so by now he has pretty much figured what he got himself into. He should have guessed something was amiss at our wedding when my father stood up and gave what was probably the shortest speech in history - "My congratulations to Kelly and my commiserations to Rob" and then he sat back down. Touching! 

I would like to add, my husband has never had it so good, but I will also be the first to admit he has had to put up with a lot over the years. There was the time I took Lindsay riding and brought back a box of kittens. To be fair there were only two, but they were in a box. When Rob finally started speaking to me again a few days later, I was actually allowed to keep one of them - the neighbours took the other. Then a couple of years later I compounded that transgression by going out to get Sid a birthday cake from Dairy Queen and returned home with another kitten instead. The silent treatment went on for a bit longer that time and we were all forced to sign a contract agreeing not to bring home any more cats. Too bad it didn't extend to hamsters because ....

There was the time that a couple of Lindsay's friends were going away for the summer, and before doing the math, I agreed that she could look after their respective hamsters. You can only imagine Rob's horrified look when he walks into a room of 13 hamster cages. That wasn't the only time I brought home some unexpected guests. He still grumbles about the time I took Lindsay to a birthday party, had a few glasses of wine and invited all the kids back to our house for a sleepover. He didn't believe me at first, but then they started turning up at the door. Boy, did I get an earful the next day after I had sobered up. 

I mustn't forget the time I called Rob at work in a panic because I had thought it was a good idea (it rarely is) to test the fire extinguisher. Trouble is, it was winter and I didn't want to go outside, so I tested it in the kitchen. The damn thing had a life of it's own, and by the time I was able to shut it off (or more likely it was empty), the kitchen was covered from floor to ceiling in foam. I'm not sure what I thought Rob could do about it from his office, but he is the one I call when I'm in a panic .......

Like the time I was stuck in a parking lot one Sunday morning, shortly after I got my driver's license.  By stuck, I mean I had pulled in between two vans at an awkward angle and couldn't get out of my car, nor safely move it without fear of dinging one of the adjacent vehicles. I had run the errand to save Rob some time ...


The ever present question in our house "What the hell have you done this time?" is aimed at me as often as it is the kids. So this goes out to my wonderful husband, and all wonderful husbands everywhere who stand by their wives no matter what. Monday is a holiday so I will be back again on Tuesday.  

Happy Valentine's Day!







No comments:

Post a Comment