Wednesday 3 October 2012

Necker This !

I think that there may be something wrong with my new best friend Tina. Today she took my children on a Cub hike, and then offered not only to keep them for the rest of the day, but to feed them dinner and then drive them home again as well. This in itself is above and beyond the call of duty, but what concerned me, was when we were leaving, she thanked me for my children. Maybe she was strung out on cold medication, or had nefarious plans to sell their organs on EBay, but I don't think so. The issue ? No one has ever, ever thanked me for my children before. Indeed, back when I birthed the little buggers, even my husband didn't thank me ! The ungrateful RB. So I do hope Tina isn't becoming unbalanced. Of course after she reads this, she may have some choice words to unbalance me.

I have to say though, my children are really enjoying the Cub activities. As a leader, Tina has some fantastic ideas, and a endless supply of patience. The other evening when they came home from their meeting , Sidney actually came up behind her brother and gave him a hug. She wasn't even trying to give him a wedgie. It was a proper hug, heartfelt even, not like the perfunctory clinches I insist they give each other in the process of apologizing for a transgression. I have discovered that for my children, being forced to your embrace your detestable sibling, can sometimes be the worst punishment of all.

The one concern I do have however, is the part of the Cub uniform known as the "Necker". This seemingly inoffensive accessory might just as well be labelled "Noose" and come with a big flashing neon sign that says "Choke Here". I am always telling my children "Don't put that around your neck, you'll strangle yourself" Just one of those admonishments as a parent you are expected to use. But now, as they get dressed in their uniform, I am just waiting for that day when Grady casts dispersions upon Sid's efforts as a fellow Cub, and her hands will be tightening on his necker quicker than stink. But hey, that's what memories are made of.

I will be taking a short hiatus from blogging. I have unwittingly taken on full time employment, albeit temporary  and it has seriously cut in to my blogging time. I will return as soon as I can. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment